How can you choose the top wines in the UK if you don’t know the top UK Vintners?
Europe is known for its wine. Since the 1950s, European winemakers have been researching domestic winemaking and recording their findings in fine detail. Winemaking styles began to flourish and grow in complexity, while new vineyards started popping up with new grapes. Even today, the wine business flourishes in the UK. Why? It is partly because of supply and demand, and the market continues to grow because of the demand.
The sparkling wines of UK Vintners are often termed as “dry. Aromatic and medium bodied. There are crisp and clean varieties and the sparkling wines are holding their own with competition from both Champagne and Prosecco.
So who are some of the top UK Vintners?
- Biddenden Vineyards, Gribble Bridge Land, Ashford, Kent, UK – Serving as the heart of Kent, the Biddenden Vineyards is 23 acres with a variance of ciders, juices and wines; On the grounds, there is also a café, free tours and a shop of extensive wines. Attached to the main farmhouse at Biddenden Vineyards is a self catered loft, for those visitors wanting to stay longer.
- Camel Valley, Nanstallon, Bodmin, Cornwall, U.K. – Producing both sparkling and still wines, Camel Valley has been in the Vintners business since 1989. In the last 10 years, Camel Valley has been a winner of multiple international winery prizes, from both Decanter and International Wine Challenge. As recent as 2012, Camel Valley was the recipient of the Best Sparkling Rose in the World trophy in Verona. Winemaker Sam Lindo was the first European winemaker to be nominated for Best International Sparkling Winemaker of the Year. Camel Valley offers tours daily and on Wednesdays, there are extended tasting and tour sessions; there are also two cottages on the property for rent.
- Chapel Down Winery, Tenterden Vineyard, Small Hythe Road, Kent, UK – This winery is located in the countryside of Kent and includes a restaurant and shops that sell wine and food. There are daily tours of the property, with special prices for children, students and pensioners. Tours can be made longer with a group. There is also cheese tasting contests and tailored packages that visitors can purchase and take with them. Trip Advisor awarded Chapel Down the Certificate of Excellence in 2015;
- English Wine Centre, Alfriston Road, Berwick, East Sussex, UK; The wine center in East Sussex has a hotel and restaurant for visitors, who apparently come in droves from around Europe to try their wines. There is enough capacity to old 350 guests for as many as three days and nights, with plenty of food and wine tasting contests. An extra added bonus is a tour of neighboring Rathfinny vineyard.
- Three Choirs Vineyard, Newent, Gloucestershire, UK – This is an award winning vineyard in Gloucestershire where visitors can stay in hotel rooms, visit the restaurant, take a tour of the shops and learn from visiting the comprehensive range of facilities.